What is Hiccups?
Hiccups are a reflex action; which means that we do not have any control over them. Hiccups are a sudden, involuntary squeezing of the diaphragm, the main breathing muscle under the lungs, which results in sucking the air quickly into the lungs thereby snapping and shutting glottis above the voice-box (larynx). This snapping makes the sound of a hiccup. Hiccups will usually stop on their own. Continuous hiccups lasting for more than a day or two may indicate a cause of an underlying disease, which needs medical intervention.
Common Causes of Hiccups
- Stretching of the stomach after eating or drinking
- Sudden emotional excitement
- Sudden change of air temperature (eg. cool shower)
- Very hot/cold food or drink
- Alcohol or excess smoking
Other serious conditions may include:
- Irritation of the diaphragm by infection
- Hiatus hernia
- Brain infection or tumour
- Severe kidney failure
- Infections such as malaria
- Multiple sclerosis
Home Remedies for Hiccups
1 tsp of sugar sucked on will relieve hiccups.
1/2 tsp mustard seeds mixed with 1/2 tsp pure ghee and swallowed will stop hiccups.
Pound 5-6 green cardamom. Boil in 2 cups of water. When it boils down to 1 cup remove, sieve and drink while warm.