SC order on Nirbhaya case will have demonstrative effect on society: Delhi Police

New Delhi [India], May 5 : After the Supreme Court upheld death sentence of four convicts involved in the December 16, 2012 Nirbhaya gang rape case, Delhi Police claimed on Friday that this judgment would have a demonstrative effect on society.

"The Supreme Court has upheld the Delhi Police and Delhi High Court verdict. The Delhi Police's professional investigation stands vindicated. This is the most gruesome incident in human history. The Delhi Police have always investigated every bit of this case very properly. For all of us, it is an important day. Our investigation efforts have been upheld. I believe that from this decision of the Supreme Court, a demonstrative effect will reach society. Now, no one will dare to think about committing such heinous crimes," Delhi Police spokesperson Deependra Pathak told ANI.

Pathak also praised the efforts of the Delhi Police investigating team, saying the case was taken up as a challenge.

"The Delhi Police are a professional investigation force. We have always considered the professional side of every case. These kinds of cases which have a long term impact we specially consider this professionally. The Delhi Police have taken this as a challenge without leaving any stone unturned. This is again a feather in the cap of the Delhi Police," he added. The matter was heard by a three member apex court bench headed by Justice Dipak Misra and consisting of Justices R.

Banumathi and Ashok Bhushan. The convicts - Akshay, Pawan, Vinay Sharma and Mukesh - had challenged the Delhi High Court order which had sentenced them to death.

Earlier, a trial court had also passed the death sentence. Justice Misra upheld rape as depravity and not curable and recently passed a woman friendly judgment, saying that "no woman can be compelled to love; she always has the "right to say no".

In December 2012, six people gang raped a 23-year-old physiotherapy intern in a moving bus. The woman succumbed to her injuries in a Singapore hospital on December 29, 2012. One of the accused, Ram Singh, hanged himself in prison, while another person, who was a juvenile at the time of the crime, was convicted in August last year and will serve the maximum sentence of three years in a reform home.

Source: ANI