Delhi fire: Police arrest factory owner, 11 bodies identified

New Delhi, Jan 21 : The bodies of 11 out of 17 persons who died in a major fire on Saturday evening in a factory here have been identified and the establishment's owner arrested, police said on Sunday.

Out of victims in the fire in Bawana area, the bodies of 11 - nine women and two men, Deputy Commissioner of Police Rajneesh Gupta said.

Those deceased were identified as Baby Devi, 40, Afshana, 35, Sonam, 23, Reeta, 18, Madeena, 55, Rajjo, 65, Sukhda, 42, Khusna, 47, Soni, 21, Suraj, 20 and Ravi Kant, 18.

Gupta also said that a forensic team reached the spot to investigate the reason for the blast, while the owner of the plastic factory which was also used as a warehouse for fire crackers has been arrested.

Manoj Jain was taken into custody on Saturday night after a brief interrogation as police filed an FIR against him under sections for negligent conduct with respect to fire or combustible matter, for culpable homicide not amounting to murder, causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others under the Indian Penal Code and the Explosives Act, he said.

"Jain runs the factory which he had taken on rent since January 1 this year," said Gupta, also said adding that as per an injured labourer, the packing of the crackers was being done in the factory.

Delhi Industries and Urban Development MinisterSatyendar Jain told reporters that a probe committee has been formed and strict action will be taken after the report is submitted.

Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Sunday ordered a thorough probe into the tragedy and announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to the next of the kin of the deceased.

He said it will be probed how licence was given to the establishment and who gave it and also how the incident happened.

Delhi Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Manoj Tiwari also announced a compensation of Rs 50,000 each to the victims of the incident.

Gupta said the fire in Bawana Industrial Area was reported to the Police Control Room around 6.20 p.m., following which 10 fire tenders rushed to the spot.

The blaze was doused after three hours.

The victims were trapped in the basement and the first and second floors when the fire spread from the basement to the floors above, the officer said.

He said seven of the deceased were women aged between 20 and 35 years.



Source: IANS