New York [USA], Jan. 30 : President Rodrigo Duterte has called for a total overhaul of the Philippine National Police (PNP) in the wake of the alleged brutal killing of a South Korean businessman by corrupt police officials and also ordered the dissolution of all anti-illegal drug units within the PNP.
Although he said he remains committed to the controversial war on drugs campaign as he added, "I will establish a new command.
It could be a narcotics command or whatever," he said. "Cleanse your ranks. Review their cases. Give me a list of who the scalawags are," the CNN quoted Duterte as saying in a press conference late Sunday night.
Last week, Duterte apologised to South Korean investors and ambassador to the Philippines, Kim Jae-Shin, for the murder of Jee Ick-joo and promised swift retribution.
On Sunday, he gave any suspects still at large 48 hours to surrender, threatening to put a five million peso 'dead-or-alive' bounty on their heads.
Jee's gruesome kidnap and murder has prompted accusations of a meltdown of discipline within the police force.
The businessman was allegedly taken from his home in October, held for ransom and then murdered by high-ranking police officers.
"As directed by the President, we are going to dissolve anti-drug units of the PNP in all levels, including the anti-illegal drugs group of the PNP," said PNP Chief Ronald dela Rosa.
More than 7,000 people have died since Duterte declared crackdown on drugs in June 2016. The campaign has caused a backlash amongst human rights groups, who accuse him of turning a blind eye to killings by the police in the name of his war on drugs.