Kashmir unrest enters 100th day as Valley continues to boil

Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir) [India], Oct. 16 : Sunday marked the 100th day of the spiral of violence, agony and pain that the Valley has been witnessing, ever since the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Muzaffar Wani on the evening of July 8, which has paralysed the entire region.

With over 90 people killed so far in the clashes, the death toll continues to mounts and the number of injured also continuing to soar.

As per reports, over 7,000 people have been detained along with the arrest of a human rights activist Khurram Parvez.

The unrest began soon after the killing of poster boy Burhan Wani, a commander of militant organisation Hizbul Mujahideen along with two other militants in an encounter in Anantnag district of Jammu and Kashmir on July 8.

Wani was popular among Kashmiris, due to his activity on social media and many photos and videos posted by him on social media against Indian rule in Kashmir and soon after his killing, it sparked demonstrations across the valley as protesters clashed with the police and paramilitary forces, and even attacked government installations.

The crackdown also witnessed a ban on the newspapers, mobile internet has been snapped along with partial communication blockade and the approximate business losses have been estimated at more than Rs 10,000 crore.

In his last video released in June, Wani was seen playing cricket with other militants. During the first two days of Wani's death, nearly 30 civilians died. In August, Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti accused Pakistan of "provoking the youth" as the situation continued to remain volatile.

The unrest also provided a window for the separatist leadership to regain their influence on the people.

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and an all-party delegation from Delhi visited Kashmir. Prime Minister Narendra spoke about it in Mann Ki Baat. But the Congress and the NC claim that not much has changed on the ground in Kashmir. Even if the protests end in the coming days, but in these 100 days the Valley has changed and demand a new level of engagement from the state and the Centre.

The wounds will have to heal, not fester. The latest addition to the mounting death toll was that was of a 13-year old boy, who succumbed to injuries.

The teenager, Junaid Ahmad Bhat a resident of Saidpora locality in Srinagar city was taken to SKIMS (Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences Soura) after he sustained firearm injuries during clashes.

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh also said that the India-Pakistan border would be sealed completely by December 2018.

The government's decision to seal the border comes in the wake of rising tensions between India and Pakistan.

Source: ANI