Kabul [Afghanistan], Sept. 5 : Three senior police officers reported to be killed in the Kabul twin blasts that claimed 20 lives while left over 40 others wounded.
The toll is likely to go up. The three senior police officials, who were killed in the blasts that took place near the Defence Ministry premises, included Sayed Zaman, the police chief for PD2, Razaq, the deputy chief of support for the Afghan National Army's (ANA) Regiment Unit and Zaman's deputy, and the head of the intelligence unit for PD2, reports Tolo News.
The first explosion took place shortly after 2.30 p.m. and was followed by a second explosion which appeared to have targeted the first responders to the scene.
Ministry of Interior spokesman Sediq Sediqqi confirmed that at least 20 people were killed and over 40 injured.
A number of other senior police officials are also among the dead. According to security officials the first bomb was detonated remotely while the second had been a suicide bomber.
Officials also said the suicide bomber had been wearing an ANA uniform. Security officials have cordoned off the area. Meanwhile President Ashraf condemned the incident and said that Afghanistan's enemies have once again shown that they are against progress in the country.
"Terrorist groups are trying to reach their nefarious aims by conducting terror attacks in the country," he said, adding, "Afghanistan's enemies have lost the capability of facing security forces on the battlefield and therefore attack highways, cities, mosques, schools and other public places." Ghani also extended his condolences to the families of the victims and wished all those wounded a speedy recovery.
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack..