What is Gas?
Gas is a common problem that affects everyone at some time or other. It occurs when you need to drive out the excess air that builds up in your body. The gut from oesophagus to rectum contains a lot of gases, but mainly of nitrogen and oxygen, which is produced during eating and talking. Carbon dioxide is produced when the acid present in the stomach comes into contact with bile and juices from the pancreas. Some of these gases are absorbed into the blood and will be breathed out in due course. The rest is passed out through the rectum.
Common Causes of Gas
- Overproduction of bacteria in the stomach
- Foods containing a lot of fibre
- Products made with malt extracts
- Digestive disorders such as gastroenteritis
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Bacteria and other organisms
- Contaminated food or water
- Food prepared under unhygienic conditions
Home Remedies for Gas
Mix 1/2 tsp dry ginger powder with a pinch of asafoetida and a pinch of rock salt, in 1 cup of warm water. Drink.
Mix 2 tsp of brandy with a cup of warm water and drink before going to bed.
Chew on some fresh ginger slices that are soaked in lime juice after meals.
A drop of dill oil in a tsp of honey taken immediately after a meal will help.
Powder 1 tsp of pepper, 1 tsp of dry ginger and 1 tsp of green cardamom seeds. Mix 1/2 tsp of this mixture with water and drink an hour after a meal