What is Insomnia?
Insomnia is when a person cannot sleep properly, which results in daytime fatigue and poor performance caused by insufficient sleep. Insomnia can be Transient, where it lasts for few days, Short-term where it lasts for two or three weeks or Chronic where insomnia last for more than a month or longer. People with sleep disorder may experience one of the following:
- Inability to sleep despite being tired
- Waking in the night
- Insufficient sleep
- Waking up too early
- Not feeling refreshed after sleep
Common Causes of Insomnia
- Physical – Pain, arthritis, headaches, itching, restless leg syndrome
- Physiological – Disruptions in the sleeping environment, including light, noise, jet lag, reading heavy books etc.
- Psychological – Anxieties, depression, dementia, work related worries, relationship problems or death of closer ones
Home Remedies for Insomnia
Eat at least 3 cups of curds daily.
Mix 2 tsp of honey to 1 glass of warm water. Drink just before sleeping. Give half the amount to babies it will help put them to sleep.
Drink warm milk with honey.
1 tsp juice of celery leaves with stalks and 1 tsp of honey.
Have raw onion salad.
2 tsp of fenugreek leaves juice with 1 tsp of honey at bed times daily.