Johannesburg [South Africa], Nov. 1 : Controversial Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios, who was handed with an eight-week suspension for behaviour 'conduct contrary to the integrity of the game' at the Shanghai Masters, has had his ban reduced to three weeks after he agreed to seek mental help.
Kyrgios was handed over a two-month suspension by the ATP after a bizarre straight-sets loss at the Shanghai Masters.
However, the ATP had said that it would reduce the ban to three weeks if the Australian engaged a sports psychologist.
But upon accepting help from the governing body, the ban will be reduced upon the completion of the care plan.
"Nick has taken up the care plan on offer to him from the ATP," the ATP confirmed. "The details and contents of the plan are strictly confidential," the ATP was quoted as saying by Sport24.
The ban announcement comes after a probe into Kyrgios' performance against German Mischa Zverev in a second-round match at the Shanghai Masters in which he fell 6-3, 6-1 in 48 minutes and appeared to give up on a number of occasions.
During the match, Kyrgios lobbed a serve over the net and walked off the court before Zverev fired a winner.
Later on, after the crowd began booing him, he engaged with them and told his fans if they knew what they were talking about.
Once the plan is complete, the 21-year-old Australian would be eligible to play from November 7 as opposed to January 15.
Last year, Kyrgios was fined USD 1,500 for a foul-mouthed outburst while playing in Shanghai, China. That came two months after he was given a suspended 28-day ban for making a sexual comment about Switzerland's Stan Wawrinka's girlfriend during a match.
Earlier this year, the Australian's attitude was questioned after he lost convincingly to World No. 2 Andy Murray in the fourth round contest at the Wimbledon..